Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It's Scary -- I'm Forgetting Things

When your information highway turns into an overgrown bicycle path, IT’S SCARY. I know, I’ve been there. I kept complaining to my doctor about my memory. I asked her if I should take ginkgo to help it, but she thought that would have a bad effect on my blood pressure. And scientific research has since given the final word: ginkgo biloba does NOT prevent Alzheimer’s.
And an earlier scientific study indicated that ginkgo fails to help people’s memory, period.

Omega-3s Do Help Prevent Alzheimer’s


My doctor did recommend that I take omega-3 fatty acids, which are in fish oil and flax seed oil. And recent research has confirmed that there is an anti-Alzheimer’s mechanism in fish oil. My husband and I are not that fond of fish, and we have been taking the fish oil capsules instead. They’re cheaper than fish too.

Watch Your Wallet!


Watch your wallet when it comes to the fad of putting omega-3s into all sorts of products. I saw an ad for Kellog’s Live Bright™ Health Bars, with omega-3 fatty acids, which bars cost more than $4 each from Amazon, probably still more if you go to a “brain games” house party. The bars contain only 100 mg. of omega-3s. One inexpensive fish oil capsule has 1,000 mg. Three ounces of canned salmon has 1,200. These health bars do have the advantage of dark chocolate, which is not only good for you but tastes extremely delicious. And, hey, if you don’t mind the cost, get a bunch. But do read the article in USA Today first.